That Pesky Devil!

“The devil tempts all other men, but idle men tempt the devil

-Turkish Proverb

photo by a href=

I was attacked today by that pesky little Devil, or one of his demons.  Man, he makes me so angry.  I guess that is what he sets out to do everyday, his purpose, his desire.  I’m sure he does everything in his power to get into my head, my heart, and my soul.

Most everyday I can see him, sense him, hiding here or there.  I can feel him walking right behind me, waiting for my guard to be let down even the slightest. When I do let it down, even just a little, He will jump at the opportunity to attack.

Some days, though, I can get my guard up fast enough block. I can punch him back into submission. Fling him off of my back.  Or just plain push him away and no harm is done.  Just a reminder “Scott, he is right there, keep your guard up.”

This scenario seems to happen more often than not.  When it does happen, man, I’M ON TOP OF THE WORLD!! Coming down is not an option.  Me and my God will beat you at anything.  I mean, I’m sure you have beat the devil back and know how good that feels.

But alas, I fear that pushing him away only seems to make him stronger.  Gives him more desire.  In which case we too must build up our defenses.  Today I must have been at one of my weakest, left a hole in the wall.  I know what I’ve done.  I tried to do something on my own instead of relying on God to take me where I should go. That will never, ever, work. Here’s why…

My guard was too far down today, I suppose.  Suddenly I felt him, the demon, on my back. Reaching around, claws first, to tear at my heart.  To break down more of the wall between me and God.  I felt His hot breath on my neck.  His putrid smell filling my nostrils.  Grasping me, punching me from the inside.  Trying to get at my soul and make me one of his own. He’s in my blood, my mind.  I tried to fight him off, I did, but it must have been to late.  I tried to push him away, but he was a bit more stubborn than I.  My strength to fight was gone.  Before I knew it he had me by the heart.  Pushing me to anger. Forcing me to act upon things I should not act.  These same things that I have been able to guard against in the past.  He preyed upon my weaknesses.

I CRIED OUT TO GOD!!! who quickly reached down and took my hand.  He pulled me to the safety of his arms.  Helped me out once again.

“Well,” I said, “I guess I did it again God.  I’m sorry that I thought I was strong enough to do this without you.  Thank you so much for being there when I needed you.”

I could almost hear him say, “It’s ok.  Your just a child. Chin up. You’ll learn.  Just remember to ask ahead of time.”

SC

Oh, the demon I fought? Anger.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Add to Del.cio.us RSS Feed Add to Technorati Favorites Stumble It! Digg It!
    www.sajithmr.com

This entry was posted in Assisting Other Alcoholics, Life, Personal Growth and Experience, Spiritual and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

What I find that seems to work is: when I feel his breathe/ attack coming on, I say 5 souls devil. Then stop what I’m doing and go out to find 5 people to tell about how wonderful God is. Not real motivating to Ole Slewfoot to keep up the battery. ;D

joanna rawtn’s last blog post..Fudgie Wudgies rawk the house!

2. Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

“I could almost hear him say, “It’s ok. Your just a child. Chin up. You’ll learn. Just remember to ask ahead of time.””

Encouraging words from the Father. Music to the ears of His children. Thanks for sharing your struggles and triumphs, Scott! :-) Eric.

Eric Hamm’s last blog post..M2A! November Week2: 3 Months Without Sugar

3. Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

@Joanna – I’ll have to remember that for sure. I wonder if tweeting would accomplish the same? Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for stopping by!

@Eric – I’ve always heard of music like that, but never heard it until recently. Thanks to you as well for the encouragement and for stopping by!

4. Steve
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Morning Scott! I just subscribed to your feed and read this about the devil and your struggle with anger. I too have a great problem with anger. I think it stems from wanting everything to be “my” way. For people to do what I want them to do and things to be like I want them too. One thing I am learning, it’s all God’s way.
    This passage can to mind when I read this. Just a thought, not to discount your struggle with the devil or demons. But, we don’t have to have either one or the other to give us hell, we do a pretty good job on our own. Here’s the passage.
    GAL 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; [20] idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions [21] and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

GAL 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, [23] gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. [24] Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. [25] Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. [26] Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

GAL 6:1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. [2] Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. [3] If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. [4] Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, [5] for each one should carry his own load.

GAL 6:6 Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor.

GAL 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. [8] The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. [9] Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

5. Posted November 12, 2008 at 6:33 am | Permalink

@Steve – Hey man! Glad to have you along for the ride. I look forward to more of your “old” knowledge :)

“My way” aka, selfishness. I tend to put this title more on alcoholics. Maybe it was put there for me, but, I really stuggle with it quite often as well.

I really really liked what you said: “But, we don’t have to have either one or the other to give us hell, we do a pretty good job on our own.” All I can say is AMEN to that brother.
    Anyway, It appears to me that Galatians will be next on my “books to read” list.

It’s Not About Me

6. Posted November 12, 2008 at 6:51 am | Permalink

@Steve (again) – I didn’t finish my selfishness thought. I in no way meant to imply that YOU were an alcoholic, I hope it didn’t come out that way. I meant to finish that thought up by saying, I’m glad “normal” people struggle with selfishness as well. I am not alone.

Also, the It’s Not About Me, from the Purpose Driven Life. The post WAS about me.

Just clearing up a few things. Sorry.

7. Steve
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Scott, we are all “alcoholics” in one way or another. JAS 1:[14] but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. [15] Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
    If you have every been trapped in sin, of any kind, you are an”alcoholic”. Trust the “old” guy.

3 Trackbacks

1. By My Lemonade | The Ever-Changing Thought on November 12, 2008 at 9:31 pm

[...] Skip to content HomeAboutMy Road to RecoveryMy Personal GoalsAsk An AlcoholicTECThought APDL « That Pesky Devil! [...]

2. By Pages tagged "pesky" on November 18, 2008 at 11:47 am

[...] bookmarks tagged pesky That Pesky Devil! saved by 3 others     xnooneknowsmex bookmarked on 11/18/08 | [...]

3. By 9 Month Milestones | The Ever-Changing Thought on November 26, 2008 at 2:54 am

[...] to fall flat on my face, or worse. That’s usually when the devil rears his ugly head and beats me into [...]